My Memorial Day weekend promises to be a time with friends, camping, and stargazing.
More ideas for the long weekend in NYC (May 28-30, 2016):
- Put out the picnic blanket in your favorite park, look up, and collect clouds
- Take a nocturnal wildlife walk in the salt marshes of Marine Park, Brooklyn
- Brush up on your basic canoeing skills at Oakland Lake in Alley Pond, Queens
- Read Atlas Obscura’s article about how trees may sleep
- Check out Central Park’s newly opened Hallet Nature Sanctuary
Fascinating article on trees sleeping at night, hope they do more research on it.
Thanks, DK. I hope to follow the latest research on these ideas. If you’re intrigued by tree behavior, I was very impressed with David G. Haskell’s book “The Forest Unseen.” I plan to post some of my favorite highlights from this book soon.
And don’t forget using some of that glorious tree-shade this weekend. So much cooler under there…