This weekend I’m reading about shorelines and dreaming about the beach. Here are a few more ways to explore the natural world in NYC and beyond (June 11 – 17, 2016):
- Read how pigeons teach us about love
- Explore the hidden urban ecology of the Brooklyn Navy Yard by bike
- Stare at the sun (safely); go solar observing in Flushing Meadows Queens
- Join ecologists on a sunset walk through the ancient Inwood forest
- See Ellie Irons and Linda Stillman’s inventive use of natural plant pigments in their art exhibition Chroma Botanica
Okay, I admit that I have always been a hater of pigeons – “rats with wings” is how I referred to them when I lived in NYC. However, after reading about them via the link I have to discard my old attitudes and look at not only pigeons, but all birds differently. The idea that they can sense the earth’s magnetism and intuit sound in ways we cannot is fascinating. Thanks so much for educating me!
LikeLiked by 1 person
DK, I am so glad you read the Pigeon article, as I was actually thinking of you when I posted it. I also changed my view of pigeons when I learned more about them. Glad to help you see them differently!